Flying a recreational drone in USA + footage from Red Rock Las Vegas
So can you fly a drone in the US – yes if you obey by the rules and there are plenty of them.
First of all nothing seems really ready no matter where in the world you fly there is always something that is unclear so this is what I know about flying in US.
First of all FAA – you need to register your recreational drone and label it with that number https://faadronezone.faa.gov/
My cert I got immediately after completing the online information
- Register your drone (and pay 5$)
- Fly only for recreational purposes
- Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization
- Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer
- Give way and do not interfere with any manned aircraft
- Get prior authorization before operating in controlled airspace
- Fly at or below 400’ in uncontrolled airspace
- Comply with all airspace restrictions
- Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test (as of my knowledge to this date of writing – this test is not up and running but you should probably expect it in the future)
Federal rules and local legislation is what you need to be aware of and you need to combine them yourself and here is where I found it to get a bit more tricky and you need to dig down in the specific State and also town/area/place.
So for example of the above we flew in Red Rock Las Vegas Nevada and that is allowed IF you follow the rules so pretty much all I have written + the parks own rules apply and those are do not disturb wildlife and don’t takeoff and land in the marked wilderness areas. So you can fly there – just do your homework before taking of in the big blue sky.
So take the above FAA + local rules + common sense + Google – I also added two apps (iOS) Airmaps for drones Airmap for Drones and B4UFLY B4UFLY both are free and will Help but are in no way the one stop shop for you to decide where and if you can fly. Also the DJI app is helpful in a geo fencing way.
Finally I have found asking local law enforcement on the ground just confuses the situation with “I think it is like this” conversations – because they are in my experience not correctly informed at all and when it comes down to it I want it in writing.
Hope this helps someone and anyone that want to experience the US part of this globe from above and beyond.
www.ankanwildandcrazy.com <- my partner
www.supertuben.com <- our dog and children’s book series via Amazon
#vegas #money #usa #casino #roadtrip #worldtour #nevada #idnhab #lasvegas #idnhab #awciam #stratosphere #luck #mustang #ford #losangeles #la #honolulu #redrock #neworleans #mavicpro #drone #dji